Sometimes, while you are working on a Word document but it automatically goes off because of the power cut or any other issues. In this scenario, one should not worry as the Word document can be recovered easily by following a few simple steps. These steps have been discussed in the next section briefly and can be used to recover unsaved documents. You can recover documents only if you are using Word 2010, Word 2013, and Word 2016.
Steps to recover documents from temporary files
When a similar situation happens with you, it can be easily averted because the unsaved file gets automatically saved in the “Temporary Files” folder whenever it goes through a sudden shut-down. To do this,
- Open your computer and then open a Word document.
- Now, click on the “File” tab available in the top left.
- After this, click on the “Info” option.
- Then tap on “Manager Versions”.
- This will open up a drop-down menu.
- From here, click on “Recover Unsaved Documents”.
- This action will display a window containing the list of all the unsaved files.
- Now, select the file which you want to recover and then tap on the “Open” button.
Recover documents from the Auto Recover Files
From the Auto Recover Files, you can easily search for the Word backup files. The steps given below are specifically given for Microsoft 2016 users. The people who are using other versions of Microsoft can go to office.com/setup and look for the answer to their query.
- Open your computer and click on the “File” menu.
- From here, click on the “Options” button.
- Now, move to the left navigation pane.
- Here, go to the “Save” section.
- Now, you can set the time for automatically saving a document.
- This can be done by selecting “Save Auto Recover information every N minutes”, where “N” is the number of minutes you select.
- In the end, tap on the “Ok” button to save the changes.
For more informational blogs, you can visit office.com/setup and enhance your knowledge about Office and its products. It is better to keep visiting the official website because here you can learn about many new things and updates in the MS Office apps and features.
Smith Loo is an acclaimed technical writer and his articles have appeared in a number of tech websites. His articles contribute to the latest technology, solutions to technical issues in top branded printers, and viruses, and emails. He focuses on balancing informative contents along with all technical needs.