Microsoft has given this amazing opportunity to the users to lock and unlock their Word document. They can do so for all the documents as well as for the single document according to their own convenience. This option allows them to restrict the users from unauthorized editing of their documents and to keep their originality.
However, a protected document can also be edited by deploying certain techniques. This technique can be easily implied on online word document as well as offline documents. So, if you are also wondering how to unlock word document, then worry no more. Because we answers to all your queries.
To unlock word document, that is restricted for editing or protected, you may follow the steps given in the following sections.
Method 1- Save it as Read-only file (office.com/setup)
The first method in which we will answer how to unlock word is described below. You can save the read-only file first and then choose the ‘Save As’ option for it.
- First of all, click on the ‘File’ option.
- After this, select the ‘Save As’ option.
- In the window that appears, change the name of the document.
- Next, click on the ‘Save’ button.
- The file that you have saved recently can be opened for the editing purpose.
Method 2- open the restricted document with WordPad
Even if the Word document is password protected, you can still overcome the password restrictions applied on it. For this purpose, you can open the protected file using the WordPad. Let’s see how we can do this:
- First of all, you need to right-click on the desired locked document.
- Now, choose the option reading as ‘Open with’.
- Here, select the ‘WordPad’ option.
- Next, you will see that the document has been unlocked.
- After this, choose the Save icon present at the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Then, either choose ‘Save’ or ‘Save As’ option.
- Rename this file and save it in the desired location.
If this doesn’t help, then you may download a third party software for unlocking the word document.
Method 3- save it as .xml extension
The first thing you need to do is open the desired document in Word. After this, you need to click on the “Save as” option. Further, you have to save it with the “.xml” extension and for this, follow the steps given below:
- First, you need to open this new .xml file.
- Do it with the help of a text editor that could be a Notepad, WordPad, etc.
- After this, you need to search (CTRL + F) for the string w:enforcement=”1″ and then go to the next step.
- Here, you need to replace the “1” with “0”and then save the XML document.
- Furthermore, you need to open the XML document with Word.
- In the next step, click on the “Save as” option and then you have to save the document as docx or doc.
This will unlock your document for the editing purpose. By now, your query how to unlock word document must have been resolved. Fir mire such articles including “how to change pdf to word document”, you may go through the other articles available on this website:- office.com/setup.